I understand how scissors can beat paper, and I get how rock can beat scissors, but there’s no fucking way paper can beat rock. Is paper supposed to magically wrap around rock and leave it immobile? Why the hell can’t paper do this to scissors? Screw scissors, why can’t paper do this with people? Why aren’t sheets of college ruled notebook paper constantly suffocating students as they take notes in class? I’ll tell you why, because paper can’t beat anybody. When I play rock paper scissors, I always choose rock. Then when somebody claims to have beaten me with their paper I can punch them in the face with my already clenched fist and say, oh shit, I’m sorry, I thought paper would protect you, you asshole! - Anonymous.

Monday, January 10, 2011

On a journey to read the never seen India...

   Once again I'm in my Reading-phase. I can go about reading as many novels and magazines as possible and never tire. It is an on and off phase of life, arriving and departing as it feels. And it also comes under my top favarouite phases next to going wild-once-in-a-while [Yes. I've a whole list.]

Presently, I'm reading the world renowned novel Shantaram. Finally. After ages of wait-list in the library queue, I, my name got hold of the book (limited pocket money - cannot buy). I've only about read the first few pages yet and am a little... very taken aback by the India being presented in the book. The slum and down trodden part of this country has many a times appeared on the front pages of the newspaper, merely glimpsed while travelling and often heard about from the maids and workers. However, it never occurred to me that it really existed... you know.

Reading it from a personal first person view has always been like "being there while it's happening". I do not know whether to thank God for my fabulous life or laugh at my obscurity of the limited knowledge I happen to posses. All the while procrastinating; whining and complaining about the hang-outs, the you-don't-gimme-enough-pocket-money, the crying about boredom in life of facebook - it never once occurred to me how very insignificant it all is. This little bubble of Me-Land I've going about for myself where the world revolves around me. Not!
I know, this coming from a girl whose Study closet is stuffed with boxes & boxes of shoes instead of the "very important" still-not-bought course books... sigh

Just the first few pages of the book has made a crazy impact on me, I wonder what might happen once I'm done reading... living the last page. Now my curiosity is killing me. Want to know. What happens. Next.

Crazy Note:: I need my characters imagined just right while reading. It becomes a movie. So, not knowing how Gregory David Roberts actually looks like, I imagined our sassy&suave Johnny Depp (who was/is supposed to play Shantaram in a movie... heard something like that). And I imagined him as Johnny Depp in The Tourist... after googling GDR, well I might have done better imagining Johnny Depp the Caribbean Pirate.


The novel written so elegantly, a thing of exceptional beauty... hello... is written by a BIKER DUDE ! Awesome... ain't it?!
-- need. to. stop. going. on. appearances. --




[Should have thought of it. I mean with all the prison break, mafia, bollywood, life-struggle... hmm]
Must. Read.


"Luck is what happens to you when fate gets tired of waiting.”

2 comments:

  1. Shantaram was awesome,right!?
    And there's a sequel out now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES !
    sequel .. ?!
    gotta get my hands on it xD

    ReplyDelete